Help with your rent and council tax

Housing benefit

This is a means-tested benefit which we administer on behalf of the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP).

You are not able to make a claim for housing benefit if you are already being paid Universal Credit or if you are a new claimant and meet the criteria to claim Universal Credit.

Find out more including details of how to make a claim.

Council tax support

Council tax support helps people on low income to pay their council tax. The scheme is approved locally for working age customers and nationally for pension age customers.

Find out more, including details of how to make a claim.