Housing benefit

You could get housing benefit to help pay your rent if you’re on a low income and do not meet the criteria to claim Universal Credit.

Under Occupancy (also known as bedroom tax or spare room subsidy) means that you will receive less in housing benefit or housing costs element in a Universal Credit claim if you live in a housing association or council property and you are deemed to have one or more spare bedrooms.

Benefit Cap is a limit to the total amount in some benefits that working-age people can get.

If you are unsure whether you need to claim Universal Credit or housing benefit then please contact us.

Please note: The information provided on this website is for guidance only. It does not cover all the rules for all the benefits for every situation, nor does it provide a full interpretation of the rules. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of law. Please contact the benefits team if you have any questions.