Council tax discretionary hardship relief
Council tax discretionary relief is intended to provide short term help to council tax payers who are suffering financial hardship.
You must be a council tax payer in Cheltenham to qualify. You can only apply for discretionary relief on your current council tax bill.
Criteria for making a claim
We will review each application on its own merits. We will consider these factors:
- there must be evidence of financial hardship or personal circumstances that justify a reduction in council tax liability
- the applicant's income and expenditure including unusual and/or avoidable expenditure
- whether there are exceptional circumstances that contribute to the financial hardship
- the applicant must demonstrate that all reasonable steps have been taken or will be taken to resolve the situation
- entitlement to all other eligible discounts/reliefs/income/welfare benefits have been explored and are being claimed
- the amount outstanding must not be the result of wilful refusal to pay or culpable neglect
- the applicant does not have access to other assets that could be used towards their council tax liability
- whether the situation can be resolved by some other legitimate means
- whether an award will assist the applicant towards a position where they can pay their council tax within a reasonable time frame without further recourse to this discount
- any social or health issues currently being faced by the resident and/or their immediate family
- the effect the situation is having on vulnerable members of the resident's family (eg the elderly, the young, the infirm etc.)
- other evidence in support of an application (such as information from doctors and/or social workers)
- whether the applicant has asked for advice already, eg from Citizens' Advice
- the size and banding of the current accommodation
- the possibility of moving to a smaller and lower banded property
- the lifestyle choices of the applicant and their household
- whether there is a threat of court action in relation to council tax arrears.
How to apply
To request a form please either call the helpline on 01242 264161 or email [email protected].