Benefits and money advice
Our benefit and money advice officer is here to give free and confidential advice on all welfare benefits and day to day money management.
Our officer Sharon Hammett is based in the housing options team at Cheltenham First Stop on the lower High Street, she can:
- give help and advice to Cheltenham residents, whether you are renting or own your home. If you are struggling to afford your rent or mortgage you could be putting your home at risk
- suggest simple budgeting tips, energy advice and can carry out a benefit check-up
If you are a Cheltenham Borough Homes tenant, you can directly contact their benefit and money advice team for assistance.
Renting a home
We can help negotiate with your landlord to lower your rent (if privately renting and affected by the cuts) enabling you to remain in your property if at all possible.
If you are looking to rent privately and would like to know how much help you could receive towards your rent and council tax before you sign a tenancy, we can work with you to carry out an affordability assessment.
The government has made many changes to the welfare benefit system and making claims can be very complicated. Our officer has extensive and up to date knowledge and can help with:
- claiming all the benefits you may be entitled to
- help with some DWP or HM Revenues and Customs reconsideration and appeals
- support to backdate a claim for benefits, if you have good cause
- "better off calculations" - if you are moving into work, changing your hours or about to take maternity leave
- understanding benefit changes, such as Universal Credit
Get in touch
If you would like to speak to Sharon you can:
- come to a 'drop-in' session:
|Tuesdays||Cheltenham First Stop
301-305 High Street
|10am - 1pm|
Cheltenham Borough Homes Area Office
|9.30am - 1pm|
- contact us by email if you have any questions or to make an appointment
- request a home visit if necessary, for example if you are housebound
We can also give talks to small groups about benefits - for example parent and toddler groups, pensioners clubs, church clubs and youth clubs.
If you would like us to talk to your group for free advice or for a general chat, please contact us.