Council tax debt advice and support

If you are experiencing financial problems or difficulties paying your council tax, it is important to contact us straight away on 01242 264161 or by email to [email protected].

There are options available to help such as:

  • Changing your payment date
  • Changing the frequency of your payments (weekly or monthly)
  • Considering an arrangement to pay over a longer period
  • Considering a temporary hold on recovery action

Please also consider the following:

Council tax support

Your council tax bill may be reduced if you are on a low income by applying for our council tax support scheme. This is a reduction in your council tax bill depending on your household income. Find more details about council tax support and apply for the reduction.

Council tax discounts and exemptions

There are a number of discounts and exemptions towards council tax. Some are based on the use of a property, whilst others are assessed on the circumstances of the occupiers of the property. Check if you are eligible for a council tax discount or exemption.


If you are on a low income you should check that you have claimed all the benefits that you are entitled to by visiting the GOV.UK benefits pages.

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary housing payments are extra payments you can get towards your rent for when you need short term help.

To get any help you must be getting at least 50p per week housing benefit, or if you are claiming Universal Credit then you must be getting the housing element in your Universal Credit calculation.

Discretionary housing payments cannot be paid for certain services included in your rent such as meals, water, gas, electric and so on. It also does not cover shortfalls in your benefit due to sanctions or recovery of overpayments.

Find out more about discredtionary housing payments.

Household support fund

Vulnerable households across the country can access a new government support fund to help them with essentials over the coming months as the country continues its recovery from the pandemic.

Gloucestershire County Council manage the fund for the six local authority districts. You can find out how to apply on the Gloucestershire County Council website

Benefits and money advice

Our benefit and money advice officer is here to give free and confidential advice on all welfare benefits and day to day money management.

The housing options team can:

  • Give help and advice to Cheltenham residents, whether you are renting or own your home. If you are struggling to afford your rent or mortgage you could be putting your home at risk
  • Suggest simple budgeting tips, energy advice and can carry out a benefit check-up

Contact the team by email if you have any questions or to make an appointment or contact them on 01242 387618.

If you are a Cheltenham Borough Homes tenant, you can directly contact their benefit and money advice team for assistance.

Further help and support can be found on our benefit and money advice page

Independent advice on debt

Many independent organisations provide debt-counselling services. The following voluntary organisations can offer free advice if you are in debt:

Citizens Advice
3 St Georges Place, Cheltenham, GL50 3LA

CCP Cheltenham
15 Royal Crescent, Cheltenham, GL50 3DA
01242 228999 - 0300365899

Cheltenham Housing Aid Centre
31 Prestbury Road, Cheltenham, GL52 2PP
01242 226672