History of the park
The land for the recreation ground was purchased by the borough in 1892 and officially opened in July 1893. In 1899 a Mr and Mrs Hay gave a sum sufficient to purchase part of the site and also to build fourteen cottages for the poor. The foundation stone was laid in May that year.
The gardens were laid out with an ornate fountain, pretty rustic bandstand and avenues of trees and shrubberies. The park was used extensively for local community events, including fetes and concerts.