There are two types of vehicle that can be licensed to carry fare paying passengers:
1. Hackney carriage vehicles
- can be flagged down by passengers and can use designated taxi ranks
- the maximum fare is set by the council
2. Private hire vehicles
- must be booked in advance of the journey
- the council has no control of the fare
- work for a private hire operator
Making an application
You can apply for your hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence online.
Before you make your application, please read the accompanying guidance notes and review the application process.