There are two types of vehicle that can be licensed to carry fare paying passengers:
1. Hackney carriage vehicles
- can be flagged down by passengers and can use designated taxi ranks
- the maximum fare is set by the council
2. Private hire vehicles
- must be booked in advance of the journey
- the council has no control of the fare
- work for a private hire operator
Making an application
You can apply for your hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence online.
Before you make your application, please read the accompanying guidance notes.