If you are replacing a vehicle, please review our replacement vehicle information.
- Read the accompanying guidance notes to ensure that the vehicle complies with our policy.
- Hackney Carriage: Check if the vehicle being licensed is on the council’s list of approved wheelchair accessible vehicle models. If the vehicle is not on the approved list, please email email@example.com to arrange for an inspection to be carried out by licensing officers. We advise that this inspection is booked prior to the purchase of a new vehicle.
- Private Hire: Check if the vehicle being licensed is on the council’s list of approved vehicle models.If the vehicle is not on the approved list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for an inspection to be carried out by licensing officers. We advise that this inspection is booked prior to the purchase of a new vehicle.
- Telephone an approved testing station 1) Swanbrook on 01452 712386 (option 3) or 2) Ubico 01242 387780 arrange an appointment for the vehicle to have an MOT and fitness test.
- Complete the online vehicle application form. You will pay the fee as part of this process, and you can upload vehicle documents here.
- Take the vehicle for the MOT and fitness test at one of the approved testing stations. Please note: Hackney carriages should make sure a fully calibrated meter has been installed prior to the MOT and fitness test. The testing station will provide you with an MOT pass certificate and a fitness certificate.
- To finish the application, visit Cheltenham Borough Council during one of the 'licensing open sessions':
13:00 – 16:00
13:00 – 16:00
You will need to produce the following documentation to the licensing officer unless they were uploaded at the application stage:
- V5 vehicle registration document OR bill of sale
- Valid insurance certificate (public / private hire)
- MOT certificate and fitness pass sheet (obtained from the testing station)
- M1 certificate (wheelchair accessible vehicles only)
- Meter calibration certificate (hackney carriages only)
Once we have received all the documents above, we will determine the vehicle's fitness to be licensed. If the vehicle is fit to be licensed, the applicant will be issued with a plate and window badge.
You will need to collect your vehicle licence plate from the Municipal Offices during one of the Open Sessions.
Please ensure that the appropriate person is insured and licensed to drive the vehicle, as once the licence is issued the vehicle becomes a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.