Allows you to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol.

A licensed alcohol premises must have at least one personal licence holder. One of these will be named the designated premises supervisor (DPS). This person is then responsible for:

  • sale or supply of alcohol at the premises
  • day to day running of the premises

Every sale of alcohol under the premises licence must be authorised by the DPS or by another person who has a personal licence.

On 1 April 2015 the requirement to renew personal licences was abolished, which means that they do not expire. You can use them throughout England and Wales.


You will not need a personal licence if:

  • you sell or supply alcohol at a premises, but are authorised to do this by someone else who has a personal licence
  • you sell or supply alcohol at a premises with a club premises certificate
  • you sell or supply alcohol under a temporary event notice


In order to apply for a personal licence:

  • you must be 18 or over
  • you must eligible to work or remain in the UK
  • you must not have had a personal licence forfeited in the past 5 years
  • you must not have been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence
  • you must have an approved licensing qualification