Making an application

We offer pre-application advice for premises licence applications.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes – if an application is unopposed at the end of the consultation period.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period. 

Before you make your application, we recommend that you:

  • read the guidance notes
  • read the council's additional guidance
  • read the licensing policy and additional guidance for applicants of new and variation applications.
  • read the guidance notes at the end of the application form (including proof required of your eligibility to work or remain in the UK).
  • talk to and take advice from the responsible authorities, especially the police and environmental health. This will reduce the chance of objections to your application

You can apply online or download and complete an application form.

Apply online

You will have the option to complete a fully interactive PDF form that you can download, complete and submit online. You will also be able to make your payment online if applicable.

Apply for a premises licence

Apply for a provisional statement

Apply to change your designated premises supervisor

Transfer your premises licence

Tell us about a minor change (variation) to your premises

Apply for a full variation of your premises licence

Apply for an interim authority notice

Pay your annual fee

Contact us directly

For the following queries you will need to contact us directly, and we will confirm the information we require and any fees.

Notify us of a change of name or address

Notify us of your request to be removed as designated premises supervisor

Notify us of an interest in premises under section 178


When you make your application, you will need to give us:

1.  A completed application form. This will include details of:

  • which licensable activities you want to offer or apply for
  • the days and times that you want to offer these activities 
  • the licence holder.  This can be an individual, a number of individuals, a limited company, a partnership, an unincorporated association or another group such as a charity
  • the fee
  • plan of premises

2.  If you want to be able to sell or supply alcohol you will also need to give us details of your designated premises supervisor (DPS).

Only one person can be the DPS.  This person:

You will need to get signed consent from this person.

We need to know the location of where any alcohol will be consumed (for example on the premises, off the premises or both).

3.  The government has introduced four licensing objectives that you will need to consider in how you run your premises:

  • protection of children from harm
  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • public safety

Responsible authorities

You will need to send a copy of your application to the responsible authorities:

  • Gloucestershire Constabulary
  • Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service
  • Pollution prevention
  • Health and Safety enforcement
  • Local planning authority
  • Child Protection
  • Trading Standards
  • NHS Gloucestershire
  • Home Office

Download contact details for the responsible authorities.


You will need to advertise your application by:

  • placing a public notice in a local newspaper
  • posting a notice at the premises


View a list of charges associated with the premises licence.