|We offer a range of pre-application advice and support for animal activity licences.|
A licence is required under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 for:
- Providing animal boarding or dog day care
- Arranging accommodation for other people's dogs
- Selling animals as pets (pet shops)
- Breeding dogs
- Hiring out horses
- Keeping or training animals for exhibition
A complete application requires a completed application form and the first part of the licence fee. All fees are non-refundable so it is important to read the relevant activity page in full including the linked documents. Please note those stated at the bottom of this page are disqualified from making an application.
The animal activites licence fee is split into two seperate parts, both of which are non-refundable:
- The application fee which is paid when you submit an application. This fee covers the costs associated with determining the application to the point that it is ready to issue.
- The issue fee which is paid after your inspection. This fee covers the cost of issuing the licence and the follow up inspection.
Certain people are not allowed to apply for an animal activities licence as stated in schedule 8 of the legislation:
- A person who has at any time held a licence which was revoked under:
- regulation 15 of these Regulations
- regulation 17 of the Animal Welfare (Breeding of Dogs) (Wales) Regulations 2014
- regulation 12 of the Welfare of Racing Greyhounds Regulations 2010
- regulation 13 of the Welfare of Wild Animals in Travelling Circuses (England) Regulations 2012
- A person who is disqualified under:
- section 34 of the Act
- section 40(1) and (2) of the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006
- section 4(1) of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
- section 33 of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 2011.
- article 33A of the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983
- section 6(2) of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 from keeping a dangerous wild animal
- section 3(3) of the Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 from keeping a breeding establishment for dogs
- section 4(3) of the Riding Establishments Act 1964 from keeping a riding establishment
- section 3(3) of the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 from keeping a boarding establishment for animals
- section 5(3) of the Pet Animals Act 1951from keeping a pet shop
- section 1(1) of the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954 from having custody of an animal
- section 4(2) of the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925
- section 3 of the Protection of Animals Act 1911 from the ownership of an animal